By: Elena Jamscek
Here’s the low down on hay fever/allergies
Hay fever tends to be more seasonal with symptoms like
- itching (eyes, nose, throat, skin),
- runny nose,
- stuffy nose,
- sore throat,
- dark circles under your eyes,
- watery, red, or swollen eyes
Hay fever is caused by allergens to which your body has an allergic reaction. Allergies/hay fever can last for weeks! When your system is exposed to allergens your body releases chemicals called histamines which cause all your symptoms.
When to see a doctor? If your symptoms have lasted over 3 days even with an antihistamine from the drug store. I recommend trying something over the counter first before having to see a medical professional. If the 3 days have passed with your OTC medication and your symptoms persist a physical exam may reveal a different diagnosis.
There are many medications to help treat the symptoms. Some are pills (Zyrtec, xysol, allegra, Claritin) and others are nasal sprays (Nasacort or Flonase) or eye drops (OpCon A) You can also
- avoid the allergens that cause your symptoms.
- Keep your windows and doors closed.
- Use a nasal saline rinse to help clear out the allergens.
- Wash hair before bedtime and
- change your pillowcase nightly to keep allergens away from your face.
In case you need us, remember we are here Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 8 pm….located just off of the 45 Bypass @ 147 North Star Dr. Need directions, just give us a call at 731-554-0571.