By: Amber White
- The flu is a virus and it has to run its course. This flu season it seems to be hanging around a little longer so expect 7-10 days before you start to really feel better.
- Tamiflu will lessen the course of the illness by about 24 hours… But only if you start it within 48 hours of onset of symptoms. It can be tricky because if you come in too soon the test can come back negative. We generally see a positive test when patients have had symptoms for at least 24 hours.
- You are contagious for 7 days..at least. Even if you feel better you are still contagious. So be mindful of your fellow humans and stay home. By contagious I mean the flu virus that travels up to 5-6 feet from you every time you cough or sneeze will get someone else sick. So please do not go out to spread the love. We all know not to send your child back to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours. This means fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT fever meds.
- We get this a lot so here goes.. Antibiotics and “Cocktail” shots will not get rid of the flu because it is a virus. If you have other symptoms that are related to say sinusitis your doctor may choose to provide you with something to help those things but please do not get mad that your doctor “isn’t giving you anything to help.” There simply is no “cure” or “quick fix” for the flu.
- What are flu symptoms?? Symptoms we almost always see with the flu are.. extreme body aches, fever, cough, feeling like you have been ran over, and “I’m dying slowly” seem to be very common with the flu this year.
We hope you are not one of the many victims of the flu this year but if you are we are here Monday-Saturday 8-8 to help you out! You can find us at 147 North Star Dr. in Jackson, or give us a call at 731-554-0571 and we will get you taken care of!