By: Elena Jamscek
May is national physical fitness and sports month.
Benefits of physical activity:
- Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness and bone and heart health.
- Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
We can all use this month to raise awareness about the benefits of physical activity. Here are just a few ideas:
- Encourage families to make small changes, like taking a walk after dinner or going for a bike ride.
- Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of every student’s day.
- Identify youth leaders in the community who can talk to their peers about the importance of being active.
Don’t think of it as working out. Don’t think of it as losing weight. As you can see physical activity has more important benefits to your health!