By Elena Jamscek, PA-C
Who is eligible and should get the flu vaccine?
- Anyone older than 6 months should get the flu vaccine
High Risk for the Flu?
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 5
- People 50 years of age and older
- People with chronic medical conditions
- Those who live in nursing homes or other long-term care facilities
How is the flu vaccine given?
- At 45 Urgent Care we have the flu shot available for patients ages 4 and up
- The flu vaccine can also be given through nasal spray – please contact your PCP for that route of vaccination
YOU CANNOT GET THE FLU FROM THE FLU VACCINE!
The flu vaccine is not a live virus. Most common reactions would be injection site soreness.
Talk to your doctor before getting a flu shot if you have a severe allergy to eggs, or to a previous flu shot or if you’ve had a history of Guillain-Barre Syndrome (nervous system disorder) after a previous flu vaccine.
Next we will discuss influenza treatments!